Sunday, October 7, 2007

ODD MOM OUT

I dedicate this blog to Jane. She has inspired me and made me laugh. What in the world am I talking about? It seems that in all my free time, what with being single now and only working 3 jobs, I have been reading non-stop. The last book being "Odd Mom Out" by Jane Porter. It is basically a book about me. A single mom intent on never getting married and trying to juggle motherhood, PTA and running a business. The whole time I was reading I thought, 'I could have written this'!
So she goes about her days in cargo pants and sweat shirts, trying to get cookies to the school for the class party while balancing her cell phone and the math book her daughter forgot and running to meet clients and stopping long enough for a latte and take out for dinner. And then she actually meets someone. Not just any guy, but a guy who wants to fit into her hectic life and it throws her off. Needless to say, it gave me hope and changed my mind for a fleeting moment.....Ok, I'm over it :)
I was determined to be productive today after reading most of the day on Saturday, taking a break only long enough to run to Barnes & Noble for another book with Colin in tow (he never misses a trip to B&N!) It has been terribly cold and snowed or rained all day yesterday. So this morning, I jumped at the chance to get my lawn mowed before the next storm came through. Something about my front yard looking bad that interferes with my self esteem-like my neighbors thinking "Oh that woman over there can't even keep her yard up..." (it's the single parent in Bountiful syndrome-everyone watching you) And yet if you compared my yard with anyone else, I could probably take a month off. I felt like knocking doors last week as a self proclaimed sales person for Ferta Lawn. Am I the only one who notices this stuff?

Oh and just for a heads up. I am now a vegan. That's right. No more animal products for me. Amazing how influenced I can be overnight. The next book on my list was basically a disgusting account of the FDA and USDA and how corrupt our agricultural groups are and what is done to an animal just for a little hamburger or a chicken nugget. Stuff we hear about but don't want to admit. I am now on a mission to convert my children from all things dairy and use Soy in their cereal. I will let you know how that goes...

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Just hope you realize that Soybeans are the fastest growing threat to the Amazon rain forest.

http://www.nature.org/magazine/autumn2007/features/art21918.html

tami said...

jeff, I love you :)

So, vegan huh. Alright. The only tip I have is this: start the kids with light chocolate soymilk. It's yummy. I never told my kids it was different and they love it. Of course, yours can read so that may not work as well :)